Saturday, October 6, 2012

In A Pickle!

Good news: We have sorted out the health problem! It was my sodium level -- it had dropped down to 129 again (with 135 being the norm) and this was causing the exhaustion and disorientation. A new "plan of attack" is in place, which keeps me in ketosis, and I report that I am fully recovered and feeling excellent. My energy has surged back and there is a spring in my step. I couldn't be happier.

Here's what we are doing:

1.) I have either one pickle spear a day OR 1 cup chicken, beef, turkey, or vegetable broth a day in addition to my products. Not the low-sodium broth -- the real stuff you find at the grocery store. Both options are very low in calories but packed with sodium.

The downside: I will initially retain water until my body adjusts to the higher sodium intake. This will probably slow my weight loss, which means I will be on product longer. But that is perfectly okay with me. I love my products, my schedule and I feel so healthy.

2.) I am now allowed one meal out a week at a restaurant! Can you believe it? Yes, it is highly restrictive -- the "special" meal, consisting of 4 oz. of chicken or fish grilled or baked; small salad; and small serving of  vegetables. But after six months, I can now step out on the town. I am absolutely thrilled (and so is my husband). As you know, eating out is one of our main ways to socialize, and we have not done this in a long, long time. Our eleventh anniversary is next Saturday, and I can't wait to get dressed up and head out into the night!

Now, I want to really stress that these changes have been tailored to my specific needs. I am in no way advocating you simply go eat pickles if you are feeling tired or give yourself free reign to have a dinner out once a week. On the contrary, Optifast works because it reduces your sodium, carbohydrate, and fat intake, and if you add pickles into your diet you will retard the weight loss. If you feel exhausted, go have blood drawn and talk to the doctor -- they will tell you how to proceed.

And by no means should you start allowing yourself to have meals out if this is not approved by your dietitian/doctor. You could easily throw yourself out of ketosis, and we all know what that means: you are back to square one, and will have to start all over again. The ONLY reason I am allowed to go out is I have been on a full fast for over six months and have been extremely compliant. I am also 20 lbs. from my goal, and I have clearly shown the ability to follow directions to the letter. In other words, they trust me! In a way, I have "earned" this. I know it is a reward of sorts, and I feel very proud of myself.

Honestly, I may not even go out every week. It will probably get "old" fast, and I've got my goal in my sights now. How hard I have worked for this! As you know, it's been a long journey filled with some frustrations, but my, I feel great! I've dropped from 239 lbs. to 180 lbs. I'm down almost 5 sizes. By next weigh-in, I will be out of the "obese" BMI range and into the "overweight" BMI range. In time, I'll be in the "healthy" BMI range, where I belong. Finally. Finally!

It's a beautiful Fall day here today. Sunny, crisp air, pumpkins popping up on neighbors' porches. I feel so blessed. Oh thank you, thank you Optifast. You've given me my life back. And for that, I am truly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're feeling better! And I want to say a big THANK YOU for stressing that people should not simply go out eating pickles, full-sodium soup or a meal. I have felt the same way as I've been posting about having a meal added back to my plan each day. We both sought medical advice from our respective teams and are moving forward with strict guidelines, not a free for all ;-) I, too, love and adore Optifast. The gifts it has given me are beyond comparison.

    ReplyDelete