Sunday, October 14, 2012

More Lessons Learned

It's Sunday, a day for me to relax and read the paper, check up on my Optifast friends, and work on my blog. I was up very early this morning, and as I was making my breakfast shake, I started thinking about all of the lessons I have learned about this program during the course of my journey. I want to point out a few things which might be useful to the newcomer -- things I learned along the way that in some cases surprised me. Better to be prepared than not. In no particular order, they are:

1. Adjust your expectations of how long you will be on product. I thought I'd breeze through the program and hit goal in four months. In reality, it's going to take twice as long as that. Yes, I've got the thyroid issues and accompanying terrible metabolism, and that's the culprit. But for you, there may be cheats or relapses (which break ketosis and you stop burning fat), other medical issues, you may find full fast is just too strict and opt for the partial plan which works more slowly, etc.

To power through the frustration I have sometimes with the longer journey, I keep reminding myself that it took about 10 years to pack all my weight on -- and I'm carving it off in less than a year. That's very encouraging. I also acknowledge that I do love the structure the products give to my day. I know when to eat and what to eat. It's easy. This journey does not have to be torture. Enjoy the simplicity of the program.

2. Prepare to spend a lot of money. There's an old saying I like: "You've got to pay to play." There is no way around it. This program is not cheap. Particularly if you live in the United States. If you are like I was (obese), you looked at your budget, calculated you would only be on product a few months, and reasoned, "Heck, I can afford this!" You signed up, got started, had some good weeks of weight loss, then bam! Slowed down, had some weeks where you may have lost nothing, or had a slight gain, or perhaps got to the last 15 lbs. and the weight loss was maddening slow. You are going to spend more money on product than you anticipated. It's just how it goes.

Also keep in mind that the Optifast program is not just product purchases. There are the medical expenses, and that includes the weekly doctor visits, blood draws, the initial health assessment ($500 for me), EKGs after 50 lb. losses, and with some individuals, other tests that have to be performed. Everything adds up, and before you know it, you have spent thousands of dollars. Is it worth it? In my opinion, absolutely. But worth it if you follow the program exactly as prescribed. I refuse to burn money by doing anything but. Call me cheap, but that's the way I am.

3. Expect side effects! I have not met one person who did not experience some form of a side effect from the Optifast products. Most have multiple effects. Constipation, hair loss, gallbladder sludge, fatigue, low potassium, low sodium, anemia, migrane headaches, chest pains, cracked skin -- I have met at least one person, and in many cases multiple people who have suffered from these and other ailments. Yes, there may be some people breezing through this program with no physical effects at all, but they are few and far between. When you cut your calorie intake to 800 calories or less (I'm just over 600 calories), remove some particular nutrients, and almost completely remove carbs, sugars, salt and fats, your body is going to react. Negatively. Expect this. And follow your clinic's guidelines for treatment.

4. Do not do this program without a physician. Now, this is where I slip into full-blown lecture mode. I have just received word from another friend who has encountered a serious problem that could possibly require her to phase off product. This problem was clarified by a blood test. The blood test was ordered by a doctor. A doctor will oversee treatment. Above, I've listen some -- not all -- of the side effects you could encounter from the Optifast products. Some you may notice on your own and can treat on your own, but the biggies are only caught by blood work. There is no way in God's green Earth I would cut my caloric intake this drastically without a doctor's oversight. You get hospitalized for some of these ailments if left untreated. I'm not going there. This is serious business. No matter how badly you want to lose weight, if you don't have access to a good physician, forget about Optifast.

5. One Day At A Time. Without question, I believe my success with compliance to my Optifast products is a direct result of embracing the One Day At A Time philosophy. I stay in the day -- mentally -- and find if I just focus on that I can make it through product-only. Also, this philosophy starts to reinforce habit, and soon everything becomes second-nature. Everything has become so effortless, so easy. Now, this is not to say I don't have the occasional craving, but I know from my toolbox that those cravings pass. Craving is not hunger. They are entirely different.

I strongly, strongly encourage you to follow this practice. I promise you, it works if you work it. In my opinion, this is the key that unlocks your successful journey to the finish line, and on into maintenance. Actually, this practice has been used in all 12-step recovery programs, some around since the 1930s, and they have had successful results for many. This is not something new. Try it. It works.

--------------------------------

I hope some of these thoughts assist you on your own Optifast journey. As always, I encourage you to reach out to other Optifasters on Facebook and to visit Optifaster blogs to read about the lessons others have learned along the way. You are not alone. Many are trudging this interesting path with you. Oh -- and one last thing: Don't forget to have some fun while you're doing all this. You deserve it! Enjoy today. And the many days to follow!      
 

1 comment:

  1. Very well said! As I started on Optifast, I wish I had a little bit more information than I did at the time. I still would have gladly gone on the program, but I would have been just a little bit more prepared in terms of expectations with side effects or even the costs. You are soo right when you say this program isn't cheap, but it is absolutely worth it. And I am so glad I have done this all through a clinic that has monitored me the whole way through. Without their guidance and counsel, I would have been in some serious trouble because there have been necessary medical adjustments that have been made along the way. I'm grateful I'm not doing this alone!

    ReplyDelete