Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tellin' It Like It Is

Color me happy!
Good evening dear readers. I was thinking about what to write tonight, and wanting to get back to some more "uplifting" posts. It's extremely hard -- actually, impossible -- to be overwhelmingly positive about maintenance all the time. You know well from my posts I've had many, many struggles. And I really want to be honest about them. This is no leisurely walk in the park. Not by a long stretch.

But, I will say without hesitation that I feel more in control of things. Tonight, anyway. By this I mean I know now my weight swings from excess salt in my dinner out once a week (5-7 lbs.); that it will take 5-7 days to get back down; that I am embracing a "new normal" of 8-10 lbs. over my goal weight achieved; that joining my husband and eating the same dinner he does makes me very happy; and that I feel very comfortable eating the same breakfast, lunch and two snacks every day. Now, that may change. And I'm hopeful I'll be open to that. But right now, today, I'm happy with what I'm doing.

The dinners I prepare for my husband and myself are very, very different from what I cooked pre-Optifast. Right now, I am exploring www.eatingwell.com, and I do look for recipes that are high fiber/high protein and lower calorie and reduced sodium. I know menus emphasizing this help me maintain. I encourage you to explore Eating Well and Cuisine Lite. It's critical we prepare our own meals if we want to manage our weight.

What really pleases me is I purchased very few clothing items when I was at my lowest weight -- 157 lbs. Actually, I bought most of my clothing that was a size larger and everything fits perfectly right now. You know I hate wasting money, and I'm so happy it didn't turn out that I did. Actually, I would advise everyone to not plow a significant amount of money into clothing when you reach your goal weight. Maybe a few pieces, but don't get rid of the size larger. Just in case. (I'm pretty convinced it's highly likely your body will just settle into a weight it likes -- and that's probably an increase of 5-10 lbs. from goal. I could be wrong, but several Optifast friends have mentioned this.)

Now, as for those clothes two, three, four sizes larger, get rid of them! Embrace the "New You" you are becoming. I mentioned previously it took me a long, long time to do this, but when I finally let go of those clothes I felt fabulous. I'm not going back to the Women's section. Oh no, that's a promise to myself I intend to keep.

I guess you can "color me happy" tonight. I really feel at peace. I've got a rhythm, a routine going that works for me. I know it's not for everyone. Oh -- I almost forgot to add my exercise routine. I walk at least one mile every day and my husband purchased me a bike rental pass that I can use to rent a bike and cycle around Columbus. It's fun. I'm finding if I like the type of exercise I do, I feel motivated. So Melissa the Couch Potato is gone. She could come back -- Winter turns me into a slug -- but right now no Couch Potato for me!

Will maintenance someday be fun? Well, I don't know. In my case, it requires vigilance and structure. But honestly, I don't mind that as long as I get my dinner out once a week. I guess maintenance is work. And some days I really like going to the office -- but other days I'd pay to be somewhere else. Ah, it's just ultimately a journey. One foot in front of the other, forward I go. Thanks for joining me on this adventure. What a ride it continues to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment