Thursday, October 31, 2013

It's Critical: A Good Support Group

Millie and I have talked about how important it is to have people backing you on your decision to follow the Optifast program. This was never a problem for me, as I have family members who have Optifasted, my husband was on board, and my doctors were encouraging it. But I have met folks who encounter great resistance and negativity when they reveal they are Optifasting. I can only imagine how much more difficult this makes the person's Optifast journey. This is a challenging program and support is needed.

I make sure to interact with my friends at the clinic and root them on -- several women did that for me and it carried me through some very, very difficult times. There's that old saying, "It takes one to know one" and hands down I believe the best support comes from those who are in the program/have completed the program/have experience with the program.

In this wonderful age of technology, we now have the ability to electronically "connect" with people from all over the world who have experience with the Optifast program. Specifically I am referring to Facebook -- but there are also personal Optifast blogs that we can read as well. This is truly a wonderful thing. In my case, my Facebook friends have helped me through some very low times, some horrific cravings, and my emotional, physical, mental and spiritual battles with maintenance. When you are going through a lifestyle change, it's a monumental thing, and I'd argue impossible to do on your own.

At the top of my blog, you will see links to several things: official Optifast sites as well as specific Optifast support groups available on Facebook. I encourage you to check out these links and explore the support opportunities available to you. I have shared this information with my clinic and encourage you to do the same. If you do not have a Facebook account, they are easy to set up and it's free. Give it a try!

You don't have to go through this program alone. Reach out and help is there. Hope to "see" you on Facebook soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment