Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Some Encouraging News!

Wave the "Green Flag"!
As you know, I have stopped weighing daily due to anxiety issues, and today I had planned to go to my clinic for my new strategy of weighing in once a week. I have not been on a scale for almost a week, and I had some trepidation last night, fearing the "number." But I knew I had to go.

I awoke this morning and realized I had a re-scheduled talk therapy appointment during the time I would go to the clinic. This was an important session, as I have not seen my therapist in two weeks and needed to relay information about my anxiety attacks and med adjustments last week. So I was stuck -- do I continue to hold off on weighing until I can get to the clinic next week? Or do I ask my husband to bring our scale out so I could do the weigh in myself? Boldly, I went for the latter option, and stepped on our scale this morning.

And I couldn't believe what it showed.

Dear readers, I am back down to 159 lbs., just two pounds over my "comfort" weight and well within my "green flag" maintenance range. (My "yellow flag" caution weight is 161 lbs. and my "red flag" we-need-to-make-adjustments weight is 164 lbs.) When I last weighed in, I was 165 lbs. (or something to that affect), an emotional wreck, and convinced I would never get back down to the range where I felt comfortable. Imagine my surprise and I'll admit it -- my excitement -- when I saw that I could continue on my maintenance diet faithfully, trust myself and my choices, free myself up from the scale for awhile, and come out ahead of the game.

Now, I did make some adjustments to my diet that I should relay. I eased back onto a fiber-emphasized, lower sodium diet, making sure this time that I spaced my medications 1 1/2 hours before having the fiber. Specifically, I added oat bran to my morning oatmeal, now use a high fiber bread for lunch, and my dinners all incorporate some type of legume. I continue with my Fiber One "concoction" at night, and now toss a little high fiber granola in there. And later in the evening, as a treat, I have a Fiber One bar.

My body loves this diet for maintenance. I'm not saying you should try it, but I'll again refer to "The iDiet" by Dr. Susan Roberts, PhD as the source for my plan. The iDiet is very successful for weight loss, but it also works for maintenance too. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the increase in fiber this week resulted in my weight loss. And it brought some relief emotionally -- an added benefit. I will continue to follow my course and should be in very good shape for my departure to California next week.

I will not, of course, assume that everything is back to "normal" and my weight will no longer swing up to the "red flag" range. Oh no, that would be fooling myself. But today, I'm very, very happy. Today I feel free. And away goes the scale. Good riddance dreaded contraption. See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment