Thursday, January 23, 2014

It's Freezing...And I'm Frustrated!

Mr. Cold Miser Is Here!
Well, I'm a little frustrated today. Maybe more than a little. First, my husband's car died weeks ago and this has caused quite a disruption to my daily routine. It's absolutely freezing (literally) in Ohio right now, and I have to drop him off and pick him up after work. It's not that I mind it, but I haven't been able to get to the clinic; my cooking is slipping to "tried and true" calorie-laden dinners; and all exercise has stopped. It's cold, I'm tired and I just want to be bundled up in comfy blankets, beside the fire, with my Bassets.

There are lots of things I need to attend to and I'm a little overwhelmed. I guess I will start with my dinners. As you know, breakfast, lunch, snacks is no problem for me. It's the dinner and the portion size that I struggle with. Now, I had a long stretch there where I was cooking up lo-cal, high fiber soups. But my husband soon asked for a little more variety, and I wanted it too. So as the temperature has dropped, I have fallen into cooking hearty stews, roasts, different chili and lasagna. Whoops. And I love these dishes, thank you very much, yet I now feel guilt when I eat them.

Not one to give up, however, I woke up today and committed to myself that I am going to rope things in and get us back on track. I know what the hearty dishes taste like -- I've been making them for years. I have to continue my search for new things that will keep our tummies warm, challenge me to create, and not be laden with calories and fat. I feel like I keep "re-committing" over and over again. Is this what people on diets always do? Darn, it's frustrating.

As for my clinic visits, I have not been in a long time, and our car troubles are really throwing a wrench in the whole thing. I go to the clinic south of my house on Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. and class is at 5:00. But my husband needs to be picked up at 5:30 p.m. downtown -- different part of the city. And then there is of course my concern that I am above goal and I might go to the clinic and leave feeling like a failure. And I don't want to go through that. Would anyone? But in my heart I know going to the clinic keeps me accountable. Oh sigh and sigh some more.

I'm not even going to make any excuses for not exercising. There are none.

So, I don't want to sound like a "negative Nellie" but I guess I feel this way right now. I don't think I've been through a more challenging time? Well, scratch that. I've been through quite a few challenging times in the past year. I just didn't realize what a strong impact cold winter weather can have on my eating choices. Are you dealing with cold weather too? I don't like it! Pass the cinnamon tea. It's time to get my appetite under control!

1 comment: