Saturday, January 4, 2014

And When Melissa Stops Posting...It's Not A Good Thing!

Back up on the horse we go...
Well hello all, after a long hiatus! This has been a very busy time for me, family gatherings and whatnot. Then we switched our cable company and that ushered in numerous problems and no Internet for a stretch. But I'm back in action for 2014. Happy New Year!

As is most likely the case for many, my eating, starting Christmas week and running through to yesterday, has not been good. It's been terrible. I threw caution to the wind and on some days ate like there was no tomorrow. This time stretch has included Christmas and New Year's Eve, and I love preparing the meals for these occasions. Keep in mind I was Optifasting last year at this time, and subsequently I had a very strong urge this year to let loose and gobble up everything my heart desired. And I gave in to the urge on many days; on others I kept things under control.

Importantly, I stopped weighing in mid-December to cut some stress I was starting to feel about possible weight gain. Now, yes, I am well aware that weighing regularly keeps one accountable, and is very important for weight maintenance. But I wanted to be "free" from the scale, unshackled, if you will. I didn't want to be responsible, be accountable for my eating decisions.

And folks, I've paid the price.

I gained 9 lbs. from this feeding frenzy. Without exercise, how in the heck am I going to get this off? I won't, I can't. But I keep resisting the exercise -- surely there must be others in the same boat? I sound like a broken record when I talk about exercise. I've been bemoaning my lack of it every since a started this blog almost 2 years ago. I need to stop making excuses and just get moving. Now.

So I walked with my husband today. Not far because it is very cold, but I walked nonetheless. I also ate as "clean" as I could. I definitely feel very sensitive about my weight gain, I worry about how I am going to effectively get the brakes on the overeating, and I'm mad at myself for letting things spin out of control for a stretch. But I'll fall back into my "stay in today" mode and give myself a big pat on the back for stopping the frenzy today.

So back up on the maintenance horse I go. If you indulged over the holidays and got shocked by your scale, come on up with me. There's room here for both of us. Maintenance. Grrrrrrr!


4 comments:

  1. Way to go! You are in good company. I am starting Optifast 70 this week. Thanks for your posts and I look frward to reading more- I can tell that you have what it takes to push though this. Feel free to check out my blog if you feel like revisiting memories of beginning the adventure. Cheers- Christy. http://optifastadventurer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Remember progress not perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for getting back on the horse. I wouldn't beat yourself up too hard. I do believe most people let loose a little over Christmas. And, often when we indulge a bit like this a lot of it can be water weight. You may find you lose a few of those pounds really quickly!

    Great to see you back though!
    -Cait
    http://wilandwig.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete