Thursday, January 9, 2014

At Issue: My Dinners

My inspiration: Julia Child
Mornin' all! I have not stepped on the scale yet (I'm now doing weekly weigh-ins at home on Fridays), but I sense some of this holiday weight may be starting to come off. My clothes feel just a tad bit looser. I also kicked into high gear with my fiber-based diet and that has cut grazing in its tracks.

The way I see it now, I have absolutely no problem keeping my breakfast, lunch and snacks low calorie. You know I eat similar things every day and I like it. At issue is the dinners -- which to shed weight through calorie reduction, I must keep at around 300-400 calories. This is proving very difficult for me. On some days I am taking in 500-600 calories (estimate) for dinner. If this continues, the 15 lb. weight loss effort will be painfully slow for me. I need to be at around 1,200 calories/day to lose weight.

Now, you all know how much I love to cook. It is very, very important to me. I have a ritual where I go to the grocery every day; select my ingredients; spend time on prep; the dish cooks for awhile; then we enjoy the finished product. This is an entire process that gives me great pleasure and satisfies the creative streak in me. I tried just cooking for my husband while I ate 4 oz. of chicken or fish and a small salad, but folks I reached a point where I could not sustain that anymore.

When I join my husband in eating my creations I am happy as a clam.

I have turned to Eating Well magazine and other publications to get recipes and ideas for things I can prepare that are interesting and sometimes complex (I love a challenge). And I've been testing those out and some are very, very good. I must be careful to measure out my serving size, and I admit this has been a struggle. The dish looks and smells so good that I want to have a hearty portion. Sometimes I've been good, but other times I've given in to my cravings.

Then we have our once a week dinner out (we're committed now to just going out once a week), and as always I view that as a "reward" for watching my calories. Granted, we don't go to fast food restaurants or restaurant "chains." But the places we go to do have highly caloric dishes. And those I want the most!

However, I am not going to just give up and go back to cooking high-calorie dinners and eating with abandon. Been there, done that. I will keep searching for new ideas, do a little experimenting myself, and really target my portion size. I think that will be key for me.

2 comments:

  1. Since starting Optifast I have come to the (admittedly obvious) realisation that my portion sizes were way too big. My eyes for dinner were always gigantic! One thing I've found that helps is when I make up a meal, I determine how many portions it should be and then I divide it up between the plate/s for and the plastic containers for storage. That way how much I want to have is less of an issue, since a bigger meal now would mean less for me later. Also maybe you could try telling yourself you will start with a small portion, then if you really are hungry later you can have a spoon or two more. You might not want the second serve after eating?

    Anyway, just throwing some ideas at you! I'm sure you've got a way better handle on this than I do! Good luck with finding some yummy recipes. Have you tried cauliflower pizza bases yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caitlin! I've heard about cauliflower pizza bases but never made them. I need to look into it! Your suggestion is great -- I'll start following your advice!

      Delete