Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Vacation Preparation

Well I'm leavin'...on an airplane!
Thanksgiving 2013 is approaching, and that means my husband and I are gearing up for our annual trip to Florida to spend the holiday with my Mom. I'm very excited, but also a little cautious, because I know vacations for me inevitably signal some weight gain -- despite my best intentions! But I'm taking steps to try and keep things under control, and I've learned from vacations this summer that I need some structure to be successful in maintaining my weight.

Here are some things I am doing/plan to do:

1. I am tightening up my eating right now. And by that I mean I'm really watching my calories and portion size. I'm also measuring things again, as the "eyeballing" technique can sometimes get a little less accurate as time goes onward. Importantly, I'm not skipping meals or snacks -- thinking if I starve myself I'll lose weight. That doesn't work for me, as my body just stores everything I would eat as fat, in anticipation of the restricted eating. Subsequently, I'm staying on my normal eating routine.

2. I have made a grocery list for my Mom. I sent an email to my Mom outlining in detail what items I need her to purchase for my breakfasts, lunches and snacks. In the past, she would just stock the fridge with what she thought I would like -- and that included decadent chicken salad and eggs and sausage and pre-made sandwiches from the gourmet market. I don't eat this way anymore. Having my familiar foods ready for me when I get there keeps my structure in place.

3. We have all the dinners planned out in advance. In the past, pre-Optifast, we would go out every night of the vacation, and I would order anything I wanted on the menu. Now, I love restaurants, and to deny myself any meal out is just not something that's going to happen. So we have decided on three nights out (one night is Thanksgiving), three nights eating in, and I know the menus of the places where we are going to eat. I'll be having seafood at all three, and ordering it baked or grilled, lightly sauced, skip the carbs, and have a vegetable. Mom and I are going to share a dessert. So I'll get a few bites, which is all I need.

4. I am taking specific food items on the plane. This always includes 100-calorie almond packs, part-skim string cheese, and an apple. I buy a large iced coffee in the terminal and bring that on the plane with me.  When the drink cart goes by, I will ask for water. This way I'm covered when I inevitably get bored and start wanting to eat.

5. I'll exercise when I'm down there. This includes long walks on the beach and swimming, two of my most favorite activities. I plan to walk every day.

***

So this is where I am right now. I weighed in this morning at 171 lbs. and I would like to get down a pound or two before I leave. I am upping my fiber, as that really helps me shed a few pounds. I feel very positive about my maintenance ability because I've got some good vacation experience under my belt. All in all, I'm excited. Leavin' on a jet plane...I can't wait!


1 comment:

  1. Melissa, hope you have a fantastic trip with your hubby and family. Sounds like you're doing things to be proactive. I'm headed to Vegas to be with both sides of my family, should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete