Sunday, August 18, 2013

Saved By Miss Nell

I must tell you about something so amazing that happened, something so unbelievable, that I think some Higher Power must be involved. Earlier today, I wrote my blog entry (see below). I was extremely upset and knew I needed to walk (even though I didn't want to), so I begrudgingly got a t-shirt and some shorts on, laced up my walking shoes, and started to walk out the door.

Then I saw my 14-year old Basset Hound, Miss Nell, looking up at me from her bed. Nell has arthritis in her hind legs, and often cannot go on her daily walk, and when she does, we do not go very far anymore. I now walk her separately from my 3 1/2 year old Basset Sir Little Legs. She cannot walk at his pace or as far. When Nell and I walk, I let her set our pace and our course -- she is not walked on a leash anymore. She pretty much goes the same route now. It never changes.

I was about to head out the door, saw Nell, and stopped. I thought, "Well, before I go for my walking streak, I'll just take Nell around the block." I motioned to her (she is very hard of hearing now) and she came to the door and followed me out.

As usual, we started out on our familiar route. But then something happened. She stopped, and suddenly veered way off course and crossed the street, going in a whole new direction. I was surprised, but let her keep going, because Bassets are stubborn -- trying to make them turn around is very, very difficult. Particularly if they are not on a leash.

Nell kept going, block by block by block, until we reached the park. I'm going to guess this was about .5 mile. We went to a shady spot in the interior, and only then did she lie down to rest. A mere 5 minutes later, she was back on her feet, and we walked a little more in the park before she finally turned around for the long walk home. I got panicked she might collapse, but no, she kept going. Along the way, I made her stop outside an ice cream shop to drink some water. She barely had any. That 14-year old angel -- 98 years old in human years -- kept slowly plodding on. Yes, stopping briefly at times, but for the most part continuing without stopping.

I don't know why she chose today -- a day I have been struggling so much -- to complete this monumental task for her. But as she slumbers peacefully on her giraffe bed, I am sitting here close to tears. If Little Nell, an arthritic dog in her twilight years, can keep going, step by step, on a one-mile trek, there is no reason I cannot do the same. If Little Nell can show such determination in spite of difficulty, I will follow her example. She is my guardian angel, my beloved companion, has never left my side in times of duress. Indeed, they say Bassets are God-sent. Look in their soulful eyes and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm heading up to bed now, feeling more peaceful than I have in a long time. I love you Nell. Good night and sleep tight.

1 comment:

  1. I am crying right now. Our dogs are such inspiration. Thank you Miss Nell, for showing me the way. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete