Monday, November 12, 2012

The Attitude of Gratitude

Just finished a delicious cup of cinnamon tea and I am sitting back in my chair, bundled in a warm blanket, smiling to myself. I am so very happy tonight -- loving my body, a body that I truly disliked for such a long time. How grateful I am for the Optifast program. Indeed, it has helped to teach me how to love myself again, take care of myself, and to treasure my body each and every day. My fears about maintenance have been ebbing a little, because I have a deeper respect for myself. This had evaporated. But now, it has returned.

I've been on a long journey. I'm thinking back to the first day I showed up at the clinic, frightened of the first weigh-in, shocked and ashamed by my obese classification, posing for a terrible picture that I can barely look at when the dietitian flips to it to show my progress. Gone is that woman, replaced by a happy, smiling one with a spring in her step and a positive outlook on the world. I don't ever want to go back to that dark place again. And with the tools the clinic has provided me, I don't have to.

If you find yourself unhappy and scared and just plain fed-up with your obesity, by all means enroll in an Optifast program. I will never regret this decision because it is an investment in me. I have learned so much, gained so much wisdom about not just eating better, but living better as well. This is an incredible experience -- I only wish I had started on this path sooner! But I guess we all have to hit that "rock bottom" before we finally take action to bring a problem under control. And act I have.

I'm down from 239 lbs. to 170 lbs. I'm ten pounds from my goal. This is a wonderful, wonderful place to be. I say it over and over again, thank you Optifast. You have changed my life, turned it back around in a positive direction. For that, I am truly grateful. I will not take this for granted. I will guard my weight loss and follow the clinic's instructions for keeping the weight off -- for a lifetime. Yes, tonight I am at peace. And it feels wonderful.  

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    What a beautiful post. I'm smiling for you! I'm so grateful that I also put the investment in me and decided to go on Optifast. I will never regret that decision at all. It's so wonderful knowing that we can choose good things for ourselves and focus on healing.

    ReplyDelete