Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Biggest Loser Controversy: What Does Rachel's Story Teach Us?

Rachel Frederickson
As you know, I go to the grocery store every day because I like my ingredients fresh, I decide what I'm going to cook depending on how I feel that day, and basically I just like to see my "friends" who work there. Grocery shopping is just part of my daily routine. And I like it.

So there I am two days ago, in line to check out, and my eyes are drawn to the display of magazines and tabloid newspapers we all look at as we wait. And there on the cover of People magazine, with blazing words, "Biggest Loser Scandal: Too Thin Too Fast?" beside her, is a woman standing wearing a green "Biggest Loser" tank top and tight black biker's shorts. She is smiling widely.

This is Rachel Frederickson. She dropped 155 lbs. in seven months as a contestant on the wildly popular "The Biggest Loser" television show.

Given that I have close friends who struggle with anorexia nervosa, I looked at her face, arms, wrists, hips and legs closely. Looking for telltale signs like hollow cheeks, bony arms, hip bones jutting out. I closed my eyes and shook my head. Dear, dear Rachel...and there she is smiling...my heart just ached for her.

I debated with myself a little bit -- should I buy this rag or not? How much does it cost? Then I just threw it on the conveyor belt. I was bringing Rachel home with me. I needed to know more -- I had to know more -- about her, what happened, could I relate having lost a significant amount of weight myself, and most importantly: was anybody affiliated with the Biggest Loser show helping her?!

I got home and before unpacking the groceries, I had that magazine out and read the article standing up at the kitchen counter. Here's what I highlight from the article:

"Rachel passed all the required medical tests, ensuring she was healthy," says the show's executive producer Dave Broome. "The health and well-being of our contestants is our No. 1 priority." 

Hmm. How does Mr. Broome define "well-being"?

"Frederickson's lined face and visibly bony arms alarmed many viewers, experts and even some at the show--among them host Alison Sweeney, who tells People, "I understand and shared in the concern for Rachel at the finale. My hope is that she and all show contestants achieve life-long health."

Hope? All we can offer Rachel is "hope"?

"The show's producers honestly thought maybe she'd look okay (on television at the Finale) and no one would notice--but people gasped."

This statement upset me so much I cannot comment on it.

And here's what saddened me the most, what makes me want to cry.

"Asked point blank whether she has an eating disorder, she replies, 'I am very, very healthy.' "

Now, writing as someone who lost a significant amount of weight in a "shortish" amount of time, I am never, ever going to criticize someone who wants to find a weight loss program that delivers results sooner rather than later. Do not judge, lest ye be judged. But -- I think I've been upfront all along that when you lose a large amount of weight, it changes you. Physically and emotionally.

I thank God that I have been very cognizant of the potential eating disorders that might have overtaken me when I lost my 80 lbs. and reached goal. I had that brief bingeing period and got it under control. I also identified my obsession with the scale and finally, finally got to the place where I now weigh once a week. Emotions drive disordered eating. Often fear, coupled with the need to "control." I broke free of this. And I'm so much happier.

I so hope my fellow Optifasters don't lose sight of the possibility that you may reach goal, but then start wanting to push the envelope and go down further. Things can snowball either way. You start gaining or you keep losing. Both can be very unhealthy. You know I see a psychologist and that keeps me centered. I guess it's my hope that this stupid The Biggest Loser television show gets Rachel some counseling ASAP.

Importantly, I don't look at Rachel as a "freak." Not at all. I want to give her a big, long hug and say, "Yes, you've changed. And now the real work towards a healthy life begins." I don't watch The Biggest Loser and have no intention of changing that practice. As far as I'm concerned, they have no clue how much damage to women they do.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment